Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Don't just sit and complain... do something

The other day I found myself on a rant, more of a tirade if you will, regarding the current state of the MN budget and the many cuts that health and human services are taking. Minutes into my angry words about how unallotment will not work and will only hurt the economy more, I was interrupted with a question: "have you said any of this to your representatives or written any letters."

Well, no.

I haven't gone to the capital, I haven't called my legislators, and I haven't put my words into written form eloquently enough to present seriously.

I have always said that you can't complain about things unless you have made an effort of some kind.

The next day I sat down at my office cubicle, and opened my email. There was a legislative update, which on most days, I skip over, but remembering my conversation I poured over it and took it all in. At the end was the address to give Governor Pawlenty budget ideas.

I decided that if I don't take my complaints into my own hands, who will? The answer is: no one.

So I sat down and wrote a thoughtful email, with personal anecdotes from my clients, backed up with research and everything and submitted it to the Governor's office.

Now I can complain about the state of our dwindling resources all I want!

And you should too:
Budget.Ideas@state.mn.us

No comments: